Welcome to "Hope Does Not Disappoint"


There are two key reasons I have finally decided to join the world of blogging:

First, my cancer has become active and there is a loving congregation and many family & friends who want to keep track of what is taking place. This provides a way for me to update them as often and with as much detail as they desire.

Second, the Lord often links Scripture with circumstances in life for a much more potent 1 - 2 punch. I have already found that to be true and I hope to share some of those lessons for those who are interested.

So almost every entry in this blog will have two parts to it: Body (what's happening physically with the treatments) and Spirit (what God is sharing as I open His Word).

Thanks for visiting. I hope some of the "Points Along The Road" in my journey are helpful and encouraging to you.

Dave




Sunday, April 4, 2010

Tragic Miss


Body: It is Resurrection Sunday and what a day it has been. I've had the incredible joy of preaching God's Word. Specific prayer has been answered as I have felt strong and been able to think clearly even though my body is "coming down" from the steroids. The Lord has additionally been so good to allow me to have my girls home for Easter. What a wonderful day this has been and I praise Him for the breath of life.



Spirit: Isaiah 65 "Tragic Miss" (Easter Morning)

God could not be clearer in this text about the sad condition, the eternal loss, the wasteful choice that most of Israel has made. God will always have His people and if rejected by the Jews (vs 2-7), the Gentiles will not miss it (vs 1). God is not done with Israel; there will be a remnant (vs 8-10), but for the majority, those who reject God, there will be judgment (vs 11-12). The tragedy is brought out powerfully in vs 13-16. Then, on top of that, they will miss the New Heavens and New Earth. There's so much more to their loss than just this life. Look at the blessings missed in their stubborn, tragic choice: new surroundings, longevity, health, security, joy, fulfillment, prosperity, peace & safety. But here's the best one: vs 24, "before they call I will answer, while they are speaking I will listen." There is no greater blessing than to be near God and known by God. And they will be close to His heart.



A passage like this sure brings me back to the stark realities of the daily choices I make. I miss so much more than I think when I stubbornly push my own way and agenda. I think I'm making things better, more secure, more prosperous, more just and fair. I'm really walking away from blessing and close relationship with Almighty God. How tragic is this daily repeated mistake which causes me to settle for scraps when the banquet is just around the corner.



"Dear Lord, on Resurrection Day, I yield to the power of Jesus to cleanse and order and arrange my life, that I might KNOW You and be known as one who KNOWS You...and hears from You."

No comments:

Post a Comment