Welcome to "Hope Does Not Disappoint"


There are two key reasons I have finally decided to join the world of blogging:

First, my cancer has become active and there is a loving congregation and many family & friends who want to keep track of what is taking place. This provides a way for me to update them as often and with as much detail as they desire.

Second, the Lord often links Scripture with circumstances in life for a much more potent 1 - 2 punch. I have already found that to be true and I hope to share some of those lessons for those who are interested.

So almost every entry in this blog will have two parts to it: Body (what's happening physically with the treatments) and Spirit (what God is sharing as I open His Word).

Thanks for visiting. I hope some of the "Points Along The Road" in my journey are helpful and encouraging to you.

Dave




Wednesday, April 7, 2010

All That Matters

Body: It is Wednesday and what a week it has been. Easter was an incredible day and I was so very blessed. Maybe it was the energy drain of Sunday, or the cold that I contracted, or the "come down" from the steroids, but whatever the reason(s) I learned the true meaning on Monday of "hitting the wall." WOW! I was basically good for nothing...what a whipped puppy. I found out on Tuesday that my white cells had tanked due to the last treatment. The nurse wasn't surprised I was "washed out."

Thankfully, the energy level is improving and the cold has not become too serious and hasn't resulted in a fever. I'm hopeful that my energy level will be stronger as we come to the weekend.

Spirit: Isaiah 66:2b "All That Matters"
Our God is a big God. He possesses all that is and deserves the very best. Many in Israel had gotten caught up in the greatness of the sacrifices and the pomp and circumstance of the Law. Certainly commendable, but worthless without the prerequisite condition which is identified in vs 2. Who does God hold in high regard and love? Who gets His attention? Who touches God's heart and brings Him joy? It isn't the one who gets all the details of the sacrifices right and the rest of the externals correct. Israel was good with the externals all along but their heart was far from God.

The one God esteems is the one who is humble and broken over sin. They understand that it is only the grace of God that allows them to live. They deserve no special favor...they know they really deserve judgment.

But there is one other key ingredient: reverence for God's Word. Being a person who wants to learn from God and knows where to go to hear from God is key. The one God esteems loves His Word; listens to His Word; and obeys His Word.

When you stop and think of it, life is pretty simple and straight forward. If I desire God's "Well done, good and faithful servant" I need to focus on two things: cultivating a heart that is humble/contrite/teachable AND feeding diligently on God's Word. These are not that difficult to grasp and God is very clear about how important they are to Him. So why do I have so much difficulty with them?

"Lord, my marching orders are clear. These must be the focus of life."

No comments:

Post a Comment