Welcome to "Hope Does Not Disappoint"


There are two key reasons I have finally decided to join the world of blogging:

First, my cancer has become active and there is a loving congregation and many family & friends who want to keep track of what is taking place. This provides a way for me to update them as often and with as much detail as they desire.

Second, the Lord often links Scripture with circumstances in life for a much more potent 1 - 2 punch. I have already found that to be true and I hope to share some of those lessons for those who are interested.

So almost every entry in this blog will have two parts to it: Body (what's happening physically with the treatments) and Spirit (what God is sharing as I open His Word).

Thanks for visiting. I hope some of the "Points Along The Road" in my journey are helpful and encouraging to you.

Dave




Tuesday, April 13, 2010

God's Trump Card

Body: Well, today was supposed to be the day I received my third chemo treatment. (How is that for letting you know things didn't go "according to plan"?) I arrived on time; had blood drawn; the levels were all great; got into the chair; got the saline IV started (on the 3rd try); and then (2 hrs. of saline later), they looked closely at the test they took last Tuesday...and listened to my lungs...and decided that the cold I had been fighting was still hanging around too strongly for them to proceed. A very disappointing morning...but the Lord's will be done.

I'm now being scheduled for a "port" in the near future and I'm set for chemo next Tuesday. Thanks for praying that this cold dissipates and that next week is a "go"!

Spirit: Jeremiah 5:31 "God's Trump Card"
It is amazing to watch men in their intrigues. With great effort and calculated moves, man places the chess pieces, knocking off rivals, pushing past the competition, enjoying alliances, making deals and getting himself to a place where he feels he is "king." For some, the process works better than for others. What is truly amazing though, is that these same crafty, calculating, resourceful, brilliant strategists miss the most obvious fact of all: you are going to die someday...then what?

This is the summary statement of Jeremiah 5:31. The people love the false prophets and the selfish priests. It's a system they know and have learned to use to good advantage. They are comfortable and content. But then come God's haunting words: "But what will you do in the end?"

Everything is set for life continuing on as it always has. They have taken into account all facets of the system. It is working to their benefit. Let it continue on forever. BUT IT WON'T!

How often are we that same way - even as believers? Living for the moment and this tangible world; forgetting, even momentarily, that eternity is the real deal. How obvious the application to my life today!

"Lord, may I live this day with this phrase in mind and may the choices of this day reflect eternity's importance and reality to me. Amen."

2 comments:

  1. Consider yourself hugged! I'll keep praying especially for your WBC count to stay at the therapeutic level so that you can receive your tx. on a regular basis. It's so nice to see your smiling face in the pulpit, when I would imagine that it takes all of the strength that you have. Know that I have your back! Martha Didato.

    ReplyDelete