Welcome to "Hope Does Not Disappoint"


There are two key reasons I have finally decided to join the world of blogging:

First, my cancer has become active and there is a loving congregation and many family & friends who want to keep track of what is taking place. This provides a way for me to update them as often and with as much detail as they desire.

Second, the Lord often links Scripture with circumstances in life for a much more potent 1 - 2 punch. I have already found that to be true and I hope to share some of those lessons for those who are interested.

So almost every entry in this blog will have two parts to it: Body (what's happening physically with the treatments) and Spirit (what God is sharing as I open His Word).

Thanks for visiting. I hope some of the "Points Along The Road" in my journey are helpful and encouraging to you.

Dave




Friday, April 2, 2010

The Prophet's Passion

Body: Well, it is Good Friday evening and many of you have seen my new "do" at the services last night and today. We knew this was going to happen because I was told at my first chemo that 2 weeks in...the hair falls out! The "event" happened on Wednesday. I went to see Chuck, my barber for the last 30+ years, and told him it all had to go. He didn't want to do it...and it took several "comb & scissors" sessions and three different razors with several attachments each to get down to the "final product."

Thanks for praying. Energy has been good and appetite is strong. I just have a cold head!

Spirit: Isaiah 62:1 & 6-7 "The Prophet's Passion"

As I read this chapter, the personal investment of Isaiah struck me with great force. He was set apart by God and called to be a prophet, often despised and rejected, needing to do and say whatever the Lord directed. But here his passion for this calling comes out so clearly. "I will not be silent." "I will not remain quiet." "You who call on the Lord give yourselves no rest." "Give Him no rest until He establishes Jerusalem." That is the soul of one who is not just performing out of duty but has immersed himself in that calling. He eats, drinks, sleeps, lives and breathes that calling. That is the man God chooses and uses for His purposes and glory.

How much passion is left in my tank? Am I content with "auto pilot" or is the fire still in the belly to seek God's blessing and work hard at being a church prepared for God's blessing to come? Is there drive to continue to preach, love people, challenge, be patient with and shepherd people? Am I committed to motivating people and disciplining/confronting God's people? "I will not keep silent." "I will give Him no rest until He establishes Calvary as the church He desires it to be."

"Dear Lord, I'm no Isaiah, but his passion stirs me deeply. Renew my energy and commitment to Your call on my life...as long as You lend me strength and breath. Amen."

4 comments:

  1. Sometimes we need to go to the valleys in our lives to go deeper in our walk with the Lord. We love you and will keep you in our prayers daily.

    Love the hair!! Cool dude!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brother, the new look is YOU! Many advantages to it: no wind blown look, easy to get ready in the AM, etc.
    Your passion Dave is clear and it is a compelling example for others to follow. For as long as I have known you, I have seen a gentle servant who has served quietly and faithfully. A pastor with a clear, very clear calling - gifted to preach and humble. There is no doubt that God has chosen you for Calvary.
    Know that the Lord has heard your name and Andrea's today from Cincinnati.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pastor Dave - thank you for your blogs. I am grateful that you have come into my life. My life has changed drastically because of you and Calvary. I have been carrying so much pain and anger and seeking the Lord for many years and you have helped me immensely in that journey. Your message today at church was, in a word, "Resurrecting". I have never before had the experience of standing up after a sermon and feeling weak at the knees as I did today. You delivered the one-two punch, beat me up, knock the wind out of me, then embraced and loved. I thank God for you and I pray for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying for you and your family often! Hope you are recovering from the busy-ness of Easter weekend!

    ReplyDelete