Welcome to "Hope Does Not Disappoint"


There are two key reasons I have finally decided to join the world of blogging:

First, my cancer has become active and there is a loving congregation and many family & friends who want to keep track of what is taking place. This provides a way for me to update them as often and with as much detail as they desire.

Second, the Lord often links Scripture with circumstances in life for a much more potent 1 - 2 punch. I have already found that to be true and I hope to share some of those lessons for those who are interested.

So almost every entry in this blog will have two parts to it: Body (what's happening physically with the treatments) and Spirit (what God is sharing as I open His Word).

Thanks for visiting. I hope some of the "Points Along The Road" in my journey are helpful and encouraging to you.

Dave




Tuesday, April 20, 2010

The Exchange

Body: It has been a week since my last post because there was nothing new to report. I couldn't have chemo due to a cold that just kept hanging on. However, today, it was cleared up, blood work was fine and I sat in the chair and received the treatment. It is amazing how grateful I was to be able to receive it...when we all know I'd rather not have to have it! The Lord is so good. I may have more to report later this week...

Spirit: Jeremiah 2:11-13 "The Exchange"
In Jeremiah's first recorded word of prophecy to Israel we see a powerful apologetic in God's defense as a wake up call to Israel and as an explanation about why they experience what they presently do. Wave after wave of God's logic breaks on the beach. Each is clear, compelling and marked by God's love and Israel's guilt. None is more stark than Jer. 2:11-13. Here God compares the nations around them to Israel. These nations are totally loyal to their gods, even though their gods are not God and do them no good. The nations' loyalty is admirable. Israel has the REAL God but they are not loyal to Him; they exchange Him for worthless gods.

Jeremiah uses the phrase "their Glory" to describe God. What a phrase: what sets them apart; what made them who they are; the One Who makes them stand out and unique; without which they would be ordinary. It is this One that they "trade in." They exchange the Spectacular for the ordinary.

That's who the Lord is for me....and for any Christian. Without Him, we are nothing. He's what makes our lives worth noticing. He's what makes us stand out in a crowd. He has given us all we have. He IS our identity! Now the key questions: Are those statements true in my life? Is He my glory -- the One who draws people to me; makes me stand out? Not sure but that I'm a lot like Israel at times. Dumb exchange, huh? What do I want people to notice: Me (capitalized on purpose -- false worship of self) or God?

"Lord, forgive me for so often exchanging my real Glory -- You -- for an idol -- Me. Please be my Glory always and help me remember that You are far more Spectacular than ordinary me. May people see You clearly. Amen."

2 comments:

  1. I just noticed I can comment, oh well. I can surely relate to exchanging the Glory of God for idols, especially for me. For me sometimes when that happens "self-pity" creeps in and overwhelms me but my "biggy" is disappointment in "self" and in "others". How often could God have been disappointed with me or tired and saying look at Elvia after all the time I put in :-) Praise be to God, His expectations are in Him and I am working to be the same Psalm 62:1. After all, it is He who worketh in me both to will and to do of His good pleasure. Phil 1:12-13.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PAstor Dave: All the Lamparts are praying for your recovery. You are in God's hands and He will see you through it all. Remember that most of us found Christ at Calvary and you were a big part of our conversion. God will continue to use you in His way and He will be with you as you walk down the path He has provided for you. We all love you and continue to pray for you.
    Bonnie & Andy Lampart and all the little Lamparts

    ReplyDelete