Welcome to "Hope Does Not Disappoint"


There are two key reasons I have finally decided to join the world of blogging:

First, my cancer has become active and there is a loving congregation and many family & friends who want to keep track of what is taking place. This provides a way for me to update them as often and with as much detail as they desire.

Second, the Lord often links Scripture with circumstances in life for a much more potent 1 - 2 punch. I have already found that to be true and I hope to share some of those lessons for those who are interested.

So almost every entry in this blog will have two parts to it: Body (what's happening physically with the treatments) and Spirit (what God is sharing as I open His Word).

Thanks for visiting. I hope some of the "Points Along The Road" in my journey are helpful and encouraging to you.

Dave




Tuesday, May 4, 2010

A Hard Word

Body: What a day! After I arrived at Yale and had blood drawn, I went to the infusion area. They had no record of my appointment and no orders for chemo for today. Not to worry, we got it all straightened out and I was able to speak with my doctor for 15 minutes about the scheduling issues and other topics that were on our (Andrea's and my) minds. I did have chemo #4 today (two thirds done!) and am feeling tired but grateful for a loving family and praying congregation. We were finished and on our way home by about 3:30pm.

Also, I got the scoop on which scan my doctor wanted. It IS the PET scan (and he explained why...so if you are interested you can ask me). THAT scan is now scheduled for next Wednesday morning with an appointment with the doctor that afternoon for results. So there is a delay in knowing how effective the treatments are, but they are moving ahead anyway. I have much to be thankful for this evening. Thanks for your prayer support.

Spirit: Jeremiah 21-22 "A Hard Word"

These are two of the hardest chapters in the Bible. I'm sure they were hard messages to deliver...and hard messages for God to give. There is no grace here. It is time to "pay the piper" and there is no more to be said. The only "out" is in Jeremiah 21:8-9: to surrender. If they surrender, they will survive. There is no alternative, that is it.

"I have determined to do this country harm and not good." (Jeremiah 21:10) How would you like to hear those words about America? The king's death will not be mourned (22:18); he will have the burial of a donkey (22:19). Of another king, he will be recorded as childless (22:30) because none of his descendants will rule. How stark; how final; how cold.

There are times when a hard word is more true and more needful than a word of comfort, encouragement or grace. Confrontation is an important part of God's call. He doesn't get to this point often, but He does get there and His mouthpieces need to be willing to deliver that message. I struggle with that. I hate displeasing and offending. I want to speak hope and comfort...and that is God's usual message. But I need to be willing to speak His displeasure and discipline too...if I'm truly His called one.

"Lord, I don't do it well and I need to do it better, but Lord, help me to speak the hard word in tenderness and through tears...as You would."

1 comment:

  1. Will definitely pray. I have not been on the computer for a week due to some technical difficulties:-) I empathize with the not being willing to share the "hard" truths. Or when I do it's with frustration and comes off harsh.

    With all that is happening we all need to hear God, not our presuppositions, but Him. I am not certain He is not speaking a "hard" word to America, at least it does not seem to be "soft". I am so burdened by our "greed" and our constant support of the "fat" cats rather than God's people. Pray for the congressional leaders and for American voters to vote according to record, not party.

    Enough of that "stuff", For God so............loved, He gave................

    ReplyDelete