Welcome to "Hope Does Not Disappoint"


There are two key reasons I have finally decided to join the world of blogging:

First, my cancer has become active and there is a loving congregation and many family & friends who want to keep track of what is taking place. This provides a way for me to update them as often and with as much detail as they desire.

Second, the Lord often links Scripture with circumstances in life for a much more potent 1 - 2 punch. I have already found that to be true and I hope to share some of those lessons for those who are interested.

So almost every entry in this blog will have two parts to it: Body (what's happening physically with the treatments) and Spirit (what God is sharing as I open His Word).

Thanks for visiting. I hope some of the "Points Along The Road" in my journey are helpful and encouraging to you.

Dave




Monday, May 3, 2010

False Prophets

Body: You need to know that I'm feeling well, BUT I have fallen into the computer "black hole" at Yale so didn't have my PET scan today! When calling to confirm, I found my appointment was not in the computer, so I hadn't gotten my "robot call" confirming my appointment, telling me I shouldn't eat or workout. I had done both (and had a VERY good workout, I might add!).

So, if confirmed tomorrow, I am scheduled for something on Wednesday (discussions being whether it should be a PET or CT scan....stay tuned). I do have chemo tomorrow, but since the assessment test has been delayed, I won't get the results until next week.

Spirit: Jeremiah 14:13-16 "False Prophets"
I've always wondered how the false prophets got their start. Did they just say one day, "I'm pretty good with words. No one will know whether what I say is true or not. I can make a few bucks by telling people what they want to hear." I doubt it. I think it was gradual. They may have genuinely sought God and felt they heard from Him at some early points in their career. They may have gotten a few things right early on in their predictions.

Or, as they started their ministry, they may have noticed that certain themes and messages and phrases were "winners." People liked hearing them and were encouraged and helped by them. It kept the people positive and working together. Of course, they may have been motivated from the beginning by a desire for money and influence. The answer is probably a whole host of motivations and circumstances.

How many preachers, Sunday School teachers and Bible study leaders come close to the category of "false prophets?" -- People who handle God's Word as a proof text or a manual with favorites to pull out for every occasion. They are good at quieting, assuring, comforting and encouraging others, but rarely challenge them or help them really "dig in" to the Word for themselves; People who do it for the money, recognition or influence but forget that this call is to bring people to God's truth; People who won't say hard things, only easy, desired things, convenient things; People who face serious judgment. I wonder.

"Lord, I ask You to make me a Jeremiah. May I hear Your voice clearly and only speak Your heart to Your people. Not for influence or money or recognition, but for Your glory and approval alone."

No comments:

Post a Comment